Friday, February 03, 2017

Henry is Born!!

 We had quite the surprise! We were out in Gilbert at Grandma and Grandpa Earl's house for the 'Art Party' they were throwing. It was wonderful. Everyone brought different art they had made and displayed it like an art gallery. We all were able to walk around and view each others art. We had fun finger foods to go along with the gallery feel. As the evening was wrapping up we loaded all the kids into the Suburban. It is typical that I come out with the kids and Taylor will meet us there in his own car. This time was no different. So I hoped into the Suburban to drive home and Taylor in his car to make the drive. We got onto the freeway and had only made it a mile or two when all of the sudden, my pants were quite wet...I thought to myself, this feels awfully familiar....it couldn't be. I thought, I'm just feeling things, then without question my pants were even wetter. I quickly called Taylor (thank goodness for cell phones right!?!) He picked up with a, "You're tired already?" (typically when we make this drive home late at night in our different cars, I am known to get a little drowsy so I call Taylor to talk and to help keep myself awake. But I usually make it a bit further in the trip before I need to call him :). I replied..."No, not tired, I am pretty sure my water just broke." Then the anxiety and a little bit of nerves and stress set it. We quickly navigated our way off the freeway. We called the Grandparents to let them know what was happening. And then we called Summer and McKay who came to our rescue.

It worked out really well actually that we were still close enough that it wasn't too much time before they were there to meet us. And it was also a blessing that since we had slept the night before in Gilbert that everyone had a little overnight bag packed. And since it was Saturday night and church being the next day...Sunday clothes would be needed...but we had Jeffrey's baptism that weekend also so all of the kids also had Sunday clothes packed. It was like we had planned it. The funny thing is I remember just before my water broke thinking to myself 'only a few more Sundays left being pregnant...I cant wait to not need to worry about what maternity clothes I will wear to church." (didn't need to worry about that anymore) :)

When we arrived at the hospital they found me a room to just hang out in for the night while we waited until the morning. I was a bit concerned since I was a scheduled c-section and my water had broken...I didn't want things to start progressing and have complications...but I also don't want to put up a big stink, so I went along with it. (I think the Dr. (not my Dr.) wanted to avoid having to come in and deliver a baby in the middle of the night if he didn't "need" to. And according to the calendar I was three weeks early, so I was a little concerned about that, since technically he would be considered a preemie. Since I was scheduled for a c-section the nurses didn't want to have to give me pain meds if they didn't have to so that in the morning that wouldn't conflict with whatever drugs they needed to give me for surgery. The night was a long and lonely night. I tried to stay quite so that Taylor could rest, but man those contractions were starting to get rough. I was trying to get sleep when I could, but didn't manage to get a whole lot. :)

Morning came and it was time to meet our sweet Henry. Dr. Hu (pronounced Who) was there to do the surgery. Everything was going fine. The attending nurses were very kind. And before we knew it Henry was here. While we were in recovery and I was trying to nurse both Taylor and I noticed similarities to how Evalyn was breathing right after she was born. And now having gone through that with her we knew immediately that he needed to be checked. It broke our hearts thinking, could this really be happening again? But we also felt great comfort knowing that if he had the right treatment that he would be just fine.

Little note about the scheduled c-section date. We had tried to schedule April 6th for Russell's c-section date and then he surprised us and came the night before making his birthday April 5th. The timing was working out again that we had scheduled April 6th for Henry as well...and then when my water broke on Sat evening March 19...we laughed to ourselves. Not only will we not get to April 6th again...but we also would be having Henry on March 20 which means that all of our children's birthdays are on a multiple of 5. (G-10, E-15, E-25, R-5, E-15, and H-20) .









 This picture Taylor took because he had to document that for whatever reason birds at the Arrowhead hospital had his car pegged...


 Our sweet boy in the NICU. He was there for eight days. I was concerned, but again had a tremendous feeling of peace. He was very slowly improving and since there was not decline that helped keep our spirits high! I became a pro at pumping in the hospital and enjoying my walk every two hours or so down to the NICU. I will forever remember the smell of the soap (you need to wash your hand every time you enter) I also will remember the beeping machines...they always will get my heart racing.

 I was able to hold his hand, which as a mama I could have sat there all day and done.


 The kids were not able to see Henry in the hospital because they were underage to go into the NICU, but they enjoyed hanging out with us in our room for a bit.

I remember when we took this picture...Taylor said, "too bad it isn't a complete family picture" (because Henry couldn't be in it with us) soon the kids would be able to see him. He just needs to get strong enough to breath on his own and then he will be home with us and we can get a full family picture. :)

 Grandma's and Grandpa's were all able to visit our sweet little man.

 Then we were able to hold him, and have some skin on skin time. I was even able to try to nurse him which helped him and me too :)

 This handsome Daddy I love so very much! I couldn't imagine going through this journey of life without him by my side.

 One of the kind nurses made this little name tag for Henry's bed.


Our sweet little man! We can't wait to bring you home!!

No comments: