Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Science Kids

Today was my turn to have these cute boys over and I thought why not make it exciting.
I love science and thought why not have a science experiment morning. I did not have safety goggles for them so they each brought their own swim goggles to "protect" their eyes. We had a few others join in on the fun as well. It was a success. Here are the simple experiments that we did.

Sink or Float
Bucket of water
random items
Basic-I made a sheet for them to guess if the item would sink or float and then we would drop it in the water to see if they were right or not. This was VERY exciting to the bunch. It was adorable to see them erupt when they were right :)

Clean Pennies
with vinegar and Salt (this one I need to practice more...it did not turn out as well as I had hoped)
Add pennies to the mixture for 10 seconds, take them out rinse them off and they will be shiny and new looking.
Add more pennies to the bowl for 10 seconds, but don't rinse them. Put them somewhere to dry and in time they will turn a green-blue color.
Then Place some nuts and bolts in the vinegar and watch they become Copper!! Cool :)

Dancing Raisins
Ginger Ale
raisins
Cup
Get a glass of Ginger ale and plop a few raisins in and see them rise and fall.

Volcano eruption
baking soda
vinegar
Have baking soda in a container and add vinegar. Watch it start to ooze. You can add food coloring to the vinegar if you would like.

Homemade Lava Lamp
A clean 1 liter clear soda bottle
3/4 C water
veggie oil
Alka Seltzer
food coloring

Put Water in bottle first then add the oil. Drop a few drops of food coloring. Then plop in the Alka Seltzer and watch the fun begin :) You could also dim the lights and place a flashlight underneath to get a true Lava Lamp experience. Once the fizz stops just plop in a few more.

Color Symphany in Milk
A flat tray or cookie sheet
Food coloring (3 colors)
Whole Milk (low fat does not work)
Liquid soap (used for dishes)
The Dish soap is trying to break down the fat. And this causes the colors to move around for a pretty good show!

Rubber Egg
Get a glass of vinegar and put a raw egg inside. Let is sit for two days. Then it will turn into "rubber".

HAPPY EXPERIMENTING!!! (most of these ideas came from Sciencebob.com)






7 comments:

Nathan and Gemma said...

aww cute ideas I LOVE it I'm going to try some for FHE thanks. My brother used Coca-Cola to clean pennies once they come up looking brand new!

kris nielsen said...

Hey Science Guy (Gal). Pretty awesome play group activity. Can I be 4 again?

Ryan and Emily said...

Those are great ideas. I will have to try them sometime! Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

Ian wants to do "experiments" everyday now! Thank you Laura!!! Oh how we are going to miss you.

Cheryl said...

Yay for science! I love it. Another fun one to try is with red cabbage and simple acids and bases (vinegar, baking soda, detergent). Just google red cabbage indicator for some fun color experiments next time you need something.

KB said...

How cool is all that!? I totally wish I'd been one of those lucky lil' boys :)

Tamara said...

I love how creative you are with your kids....I can't wait to copy all your ideas:)